Being a soft and fluffy substance, cotton is a staple fiber that usually grows in the bolls-a round, seed like a capsule of plants that works as a vessel for the cotton. As a native tropical and subtropical shrub, cotton is found all around the world, including Egypt, India, Africa, and America. However, Mexico holds the greatest diversity of wild cotton with Australia and Africa being the followers. Twenty-five million tonnes of cotton are globally produced each year, taking up 2.5% of global arable land. When it comes to the largest producers, China holds the top position. However, most of their produced cotton is for domestic use. The United States is known for the biggest exporter of cotton all around the world.
Considering the most use of cotton, it is often spurned into a thread to produce comfy and breathable textiles. The process is continuing from a prehistoric time as fragments of cotton has been found in the Indus Valley Civilization. It is the invention of Cotton Gin that leads to mass production of cotton because of the reduced cost, and now cotton is widely used as a natural fiber for clothing all over the world.
Uses of Cotton
Known for its versatility, natural comfort, and efficiency, cotton is used to make all kinds of clothing as well as used industrially for producing various type of product.
The uses of cotton are as follows-
- The most basic use of cotton is to provide thread using cotton gin, which they can have vast use both domestic and industrial.
- Cotton is used to make comfortable and breathable textile, which later on will have multiple purposes of use.
- By weaving cotton fiber, fabrics such as flannel, velvet, velour, and corduroy can be made by which exquisite clothing can be produced.
- Cotton can also be used to make essential tools such as fishnets, bookbinding and coffee filters to make your life easier and productive.
- All of us in our lifetime have tried or heard about cotton candy. Guess what it is made of? Of course cotton as cotton is a good fiber corp.
- Cotton can also be used as food for cattle given its edible attribute.
- Cottonseed oils are in high demand nowadays as they are cheaper than vegetable oil and add flavor to the food. Restaurants are using it to deep fry their fast foods. By crushing cottonseeds, oils can be produced.
- In the production of cosmetic and soap products, cotton is used.
- Pharmaceutical companies also utilize cotton in making of their product. Such as first aid kit often holds cotton.
- Materials like rubber and plastic hold some extent of cotton in them while in their production process.
- Due to its high absorbency, elasticity, purity, and hypoallergenic properties, cotton has long been a top preference in the healthcare arena.
- Cotton is used in the paper sector is for the creation of high excellent paper that are sought by professionals that require a difficult copy of their document to last the test of time.
- Although it may sound strange, cotton is used in making of Automobile-tops
- To make beautiful crafty cloth-bags, cotton is used so you can carry your daily essentials with you.
- Cotton is also used to make canvas where artists use their imagination to come up with admirable artworks.
- While decorating your home with beautiful looking curtains and carpets, furniture covers, cotton is of great help.
- The handkerchief has been around for quite a long time and is also used as a fashion item, "Gentlemen's fashion" to be specific. Cotton makes the best looking and comfy ones.
- Mosquitos can be an enormous pain in the butt and can mess up your sleep. That's where mosquito curtains made with cotton step in to assure you a bite-free relaxing sleep.
- In alternative to plastic bags, which are harmful to our environment, safety bags made with cotton can prove to be safe for our environment.
- In the making of shoelaces, cotton is used.
- Although different alternatives are present in the apparel industry, cotton is the safest bet because it produces less waste in the production process, and most of those byproducts later can be used in other productions.
- The market for bedcover, sheets, pillowcases is heavily dependent upon cotton. For other home furnishings like curtains and pillows, cotton is a principal choice.
- Undergarments made up of cotton proves to be comfy as they are made up of breathable substances and provides greater airflow.
- Cotton is also used in the making of Adhesive tape to tape those party balloons to decorate your home.
- To make terry-cloths which are used in the process of making towels and washcloth, cotton is used.
- Although typewriter is almost extinct at this stage of civilization, in making of typewriter ribbons, cotton is used.
- Garments industry often use yarn, a long continuous interlocked fiber, in their production process.
- In the process of cheese making, where cheese-cloth made up of cotton is used to separate cheese custard and whey.
- Bandages provide the fastest solution to hold blood flow and has saved countless lives. Cotton is the primary material in the making of dressings to soak up and keep blood flow.
- Cotton is also used to make bookbinding to hold pages of a book together.
- Cotton is held as one of the key ingredients in producing certain beauty products. Mainly in two major ways, cotton is used in these regard-manufacturing items like sheet masks, makeup remover wipes, and by using cottonseed oil, which is extremely nourishing in nature.
- In the production of an umbrella, cotton is used to make the clothes that keep us dry from the rain.
- One of the specialty applications of cotton includes manufacturing flame resistant apparel. These sort of apparel are suitable for professional uses as they provide protection against potential risks attributed to high temperature and mainly flashover.